From March 1, 2024, the Czech Republic will introduce a new toll fee component that will take into account the production of CO2 emissions for vehicles registered in the Electronic Toll System. With the implementation of EU Directive 2022/362, the introduction of a new toll component will come into force, which will be collected in order to recover the costs caused by CO2 emissions during the operation of vehicles on toll roads in the Czech Republic.
The change introduces five CO2 emission classes. In emission class CO2 1, the fees are the highest, on the other hand, emission class CO2 5 is the cheapest and is intended for vehicles with emission-free operation.
DOES SOMETHING NEED TO BE ADDRESSED? THE KEY IS THE DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION OF THE VEHICLE.
- Carriers do not necessarily have to take any action. Initially, all vehicles will be classified in emission class CO2 1, to which, according to preliminary estimates, belong more than 90% of vehicles.
- Vehicles with a date of first registration before July 1, 2019 and all vehicles of categories M2 and M3 (Buses) are not entitled to be included in the higher CO2 emission class (2-5). Their operators do not have to take any action. *
- If the values of the required attributes are not available for the vehicle in a range sufficient to determine the CO2 emission class (2-5), or if it does not meet the requirements for inclusion in these classes, the vehicle remains classified in the CO2 emission class 1.
- Vehicle operators with a date of first registration of vehicle after July 1, 2019 are advised to check the vehicle documentation from the manufacturer (COC, CIF) and then verify with the help of the CO2 emission class finder** on the page www.mytocz.eu/co2 whether they are entitled to re-registration to a better emission class CO2 with a lower toll rate.
*(except for vehicles powered by pure electric energy and hydrogen – these belong to emission class CO2 5)
**(The CO2 emission class finder will be available from January 20, 2024.)
I HAVE A VEHICLE REGISTERED AFTER 7/1/2019 AND THE CO2 EMISSION CLASS FINDER CONFIRMED THE POSSIBILITY OF CLASSIFICATION INTO A HIGHER CO2 EMISSION CLASS. HOW TO PROCEED NEXT?
- If you require the inclusion of a vehicle in a CO2 emission class higher than CO2 1, it will be necessary to enter documents on the fulfillment of the necessary conditions into the Electronic Toll System (especially data from the manufacturer’s documentation: COC, CIF). This obligation can be fulfilled by a Submission in the Customer Self-Service (www.mytocz.eu) or by e-mail, or at the Contact points. Some fleet card issuers will also help their clients with the delivery of documentation.
- If the vehicle is not classified in the correct CO2 emission class, the vehicle operator faces no penalties.
Source information and picture: mytocz.eu